With the new release of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 you will find available, a seperate download Report Builder 3.0
for Reporting Services. Report Builder 3.0 is a report authoring tool that runs on your local computer. You can create many different types of reports to meet your reporting needs, such as sales, marketing, and financial reports, by using combinations of tables, matrices, lists, and charts. You can then manipulate your data by filtering, grouping and sorting, and by adding expressions and parameters. After your report looks the way you want, you can publish it to a report server or a SharePoint site, where others within your organization can read it, or you can save it to your local computer.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Report Builder 3.0 supports the full capabilities of SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services including:
- Flexible report layout caabilities of SQL Server 2008 Report Definition Language
- Data Visualizations including charts and gauges
- Richly formatted textboxes
- Export to Microsoft Office Word format
Features specific to Report Builder 3.0 are focused on simplifying the process of creating and editing reports and queries and include the following:
- Easy to use wizards for creating table, matrix and chart data regions
- Support for directly opening and editing reports stored on the report server
- Support for using server resources such as shared data sources
- Query designers for multiple data sources including a Microsoft SQL Server-specific query designer
Microsoft Office based Interface and Intuitive Wizards
Report Builder 3.0
- Intuitive, Office-optimized report authoring environment for business users who prefer to work in the familiar Microsoft Office environment
- Use Report Builder 3.0 to work with data, define a layout, preview a report, and publish a report to a report server or SharePoint site
- Use the included wizard to create tables or charts, plus query builders and an expression editor
Part 2, we'll discuss designing and developing your first report while using Report Builder 3.0 and SQL Server 2008 for the database.
© 2009 Info-Toad Consulting LLC © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.